A Girl in Black & White: Shine

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Shine

Shine 


I think I loved the Sun.
He came just when I thought that Night was all I’d ever have.
He shone a light on my darkness;
On the things I was afraid to face.
I soaked up every ray of his smile.
I danced in the warmth of his attention.


But as it went on, he started to leave.
Without a word, he crept to the sea and bowed out of my sight.
I stood and applauded.
I begged for an encore, but he was gone.


I began to wonder if his light ever shone on me, or did he brighten up the whole world.
He might be shining down somewhere across the galaxy,
Without a thought of me.


Wondering if the Sun would ever return.
Would it be the same, now that I know that he could leave me so easily.


But my eyes adjusted to the dark.
I found that I was falling for the Moon.


In the silence of the night, I could think and breathe.
I could be myself.
The Moon lit the way home.
He walked with me and smiled down on me.


The Sun was heat and frivolity.
He came breaking in every morning with a light show.
But the Moon, oh the Moon,
He was there for me always.
He made no fuss of his being there.
Barely seen when the Sun was shining his brightest.
The Sun shone to be seen.
The Moon shone so I could see.

- A Girl in Black & White

No comments:

Post a Comment