A Girl in Black & White: What a Friend We Have in Jesus

Sunday, January 27, 2019

What a Friend We Have in Jesus


This Sunday, my friend and I were given the amazing opportunity to share this beautiful song with our church family.  I am so thankful for fellow believers who encourage you to grow in your faith and gifts.  I am very thankful to Christ for the gift of worshiping Him through a melody.  There were notes that I missed, words that I tripped over, and I shook like crazy, but I truly wasn't nervous.  Why?  Because it wasn't a performance, it was worship.    

What a Friend We Have in Jesus

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry

Everything to God in prayer!

Oh, what peace we often forfeit,

Oh, what needless pain we bear,

All because we do not carry

Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?


Is there trouble anywhere?

We should never be discouraged—

Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful,

Who will all our sorrows share?

Jesus knows our every weakness;

Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?

Precious Savior, still our refuge—

Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?

Take it to the Lord in prayer!

In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,

Thou wilt find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;

May we ever, Lord, be bringing

All to Thee in earnest prayer.

Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—

Rapture, praise, and endless worship

Will be our sweet portion there.

//

I am reminded of the lyrics to this song almost daily.  It is so sad how quickly I forget lessons that I've learned a thousand times.  How many times will I have to learn that I don't have to carry my burdens?  It may seem like it is all on my shoulders, but it isn't.  Christ literally commands us to cast our cares on Him (1 Peter 5:7).  How freeing!  Especially in this time of life (or maybe it just continues), it feels like everything is cloudy and I can't see anything ahead.  

What am I constantly reminded?
I do not have to see what is ahead.  Christ does not expect us to see the future.  Only He is able to do so.  I want to know what is ahead and do what is pleasing to Christ (most of the time), but all I am asked to do is to trust Him and cast all of my cares on Him.

      It is not on my shoulders.  I get stressed and anxious, but I don't have to.  As an adult I see that we are constantly faced with decisions and it kind of feels like you are drowning in uncertainty.  We drown in uncertainty when Christ is giving us a boat of assurance.

       But Christ offers us His ear and His hand.  He asks us not to be overwhelmed, but to find solace and comfort in knowing that He has it under control.  The Creator of the Universe has given us His direct hotline and I see it as merely a last resort in desperate situations.  

There is a comfort that is unimaginable in knowing this simple truth...
                                      "I have no idea what I am going to do, but I don't have to do it on my own.  I am giving this entirely to Christ and it is no longer on my shoulders.  He will give me peace and clarity.  All I have to do is keep on praying and strive to please Him in my words and actions."

Phew! Thank goodness that it is not my burden to bare.  I can run to Christ with every concern and lay it down.  What comfort and peace there is in a relationship with Jesus Christ.


Philippians 4:6-7"6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."






4 comments:

  1. I love this reminder. And the song was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad that I am not alone in needing this reminder.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! We used this as our devotional time this morning before we started school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how your comment warmed my heart! Thank you very much. I am thankful that God could use it.

      Delete